KRISHI VIGYAN KENDRA KIRLOS
The Krishi Vigyan Kendra (KVK), Kirlos has been established by Sindhudurg Zilha Krishi Pratishthan, Kirlos under the sponsorship of Indian Council of Agricultural Research, (ICAR) New Delhi. KVK act as a frontline extension model at district level, has showcased frontier technologies, develop the capacity of different stakeholders, front runners in technology application. KVK has shown its visibility and presence in the Sindhudurg district. KVK is implementing several special programs launched through central and state governments. Cluster frontline demonstrations, climate resilient technologies, quality seed and planting materials production, farmer centric approach, nutria-sensitive agriculture, attracting and retaining youth in agriculture, post harvest processing and value addition, skill development, organizing farmers, identifying farm innovations etc. are being given major focus. Doubling farmers’ income through district specific strategy is taken on priority. Linkage and conveyance with concerned departments is also strengthened. A large number of extension activities are being organized by KVK in the district. KVK is actively involved in production of quality seeds, planting materials, livestock, bio-products and supplying them to the needy farmers.
Unique Features of KVK
- Creation of valuable resources in terms of technical manpower and assets
- Confirmation of technologies to suit local specificity
- Showcasing the frontier technologies
- Capacity building among stakeholders
- Front runner in technological application, information and inputs
- Participatory approaches in planning, implementing, executing and evaluation
KVK Sindhudurg is working towards reducing the time lag between generation of technology at the research institution and its application to the location specific farmer fields for increasing production, productivity and net farm income on a sustained basis with the following mandate.
Mandate of KVK
Application of technology/products through assessment, refinement and demonstration for adoption. To achieve the mandate effectively, the following activities are envisaged by KVK.
- On-farm testing to identify the location specificity of agricultural technologies under various farming systems.
- Frontline demonstrations to establish its production potentials on the farmers’ fields.
- Training of farmers and extension personnel to update their knowledge and skills in modern agricultural technologies.
- Work as resource and knowledge center of agricultural technologies for supporting
- Initiatives of public, private and voluntary sector for improving the agricultural economy of the district.
- Produce and make available technological products like seed, planting material, bio agents, young ones of livestock etc to the farmers
- Organize extension activities to create awareness about improved agricultural technologies to facilitate fast diffusion and adoption of technologies in agriculture and allied sectors